I Havoth Mine! Did You Get-eth Yours?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A decent Constitutional Lesson

I have to agree with the author, Ilya Shapiro. This is a correct reading of the commerce clause. The funny thing that strikes me is that it was a GOP push to have this in the damn healthcare bill, and I think they did it just so they could use it as a counterstrike to challenge it altogether. Which means to me Mr. Obama (or his counsel team) are not the clever lawyers as first believed... Yes I want a public option but no, I don't think it should be hinged on forcing people to buy health insurance from private companies. And that's exactly what I think happened here. GOP lobbied to get something bad put in so they could cry and get it thrown out altogether. It only scares me that these selfish bastards one-upped the President.

However, I think a blanket ruling will open up a whole new can of worms about things the government can't make you buy - I think the car insurance analogy mentioned in this article does have a faulty premise if the Supreme Court's eventual ruling is a blanket statement. I am going to look for more examples of what the government (state or federal) forces it's citizens to purchase to be legal. I'm sure there is something out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

From This-Is-True and Randy Cassingham

Havoth's Search Thingy